Automatic week ban for total of 15 accumulated warns

David Davidson

On 3/26/2021 at 1:52 AM, Abstergo McStubbins said:

If you are dumb enough to get warned 15 times in a row you've shown blatant disregard for the rules on 15 different occasions.

Again, you're assuming those violations actually were a blatant disregard for the rules.

We've already established bad staff are inevitable. Even if you haven't gotten a ban for something

I'm sure you and most have gotten at least a few warns that were bullshit or would have warranted a verbal

or something. Some mods will warn/ban you for 'lying to staff' if you remember a slight detail about something

that happened wrong.

I can't speak for every player obviously and while it is surprising a good amount here in this thread 

who have avoided getting a bunch of warns that doesn't mean there isn't some kind of other variable at play.

A lot of these players have been playing for years, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume

someone staffing the server (for free and on their own time) wouldn't be familiar with the 'regulars'

enough to not slap their mistakes on their permanent record. 

I get that 15 warns is a lot but again, there are a multitude of factors, from what jobs you like to play

to who you're friends with on the server to who you happened to piss off on the wrong day.

Making it some permanent thing looming over players is ridiculous. 

Why would you want your players (the ones who don't just sit in their bases to milk printers

or in public bases RPing all day) to be scared to play knowing all it will take for a ban

is a few more incidents with awful staff? (Again, we've established a chunk of staff will ALWAYS be terrible) 

40 minutes ago, David Davidson said:

Again, you're assuming those violations actually were a blatant disregard for the rules.

We've already established bad staff are inevitable. Even if you haven't gotten a ban for something

I'm sure you and most have gotten at least a few warns that were bullshit or would have warranted a verbal

or something. Some mods will warn/ban you for 'lying to staff' if you remember a slight detail about something

that happened wrong.

I can't speak for every player obviously and while it is surprising a good amount here in this thread 

who have avoided getting a bunch of warns that doesn't mean there isn't some kind of other variable at play.

A lot of these players have been playing for years, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume

someone staffing the server (for free and on their own time) wouldn't be familiar with the 'regulars'

enough to not slap their mistakes on their permanent record. 

I get that 15 warns is a lot but again, there are a multitude of factors, from what jobs you like to play

to who you're friends with on the server to who you happened to piss off on the wrong day.

Making it some permanent thing looming over players is ridiculous. 

Why would you want your players (the ones who don't just sit in their bases to milk printers

or in public bases RPing all day) to be scared to play knowing all it will take for a ban

is a few more incidents with awful staff? (Again, we've established a chunk of staff will ALWAYS be terrible) 

I can absolutely agree that the fundamental teach over punish is pretty much gone with our new staff team. They are very quick to warn and call it good. That doesn't mean that people are handing out warns for no reason.  If you broke a rule you can expect to be punished for it. With this newer staff team though I do see little to no teaching they resort to the highest degree of punishment when possible.  Take for example NLR I have maybe 1 or two mass NLR bans on my history and a few bans for NLR + LTAP.  I usually resorted to a warn for NLR even if it was mass for new players. Now if the player knew what they were doing depending on their attitude I would ban them 1-3 days

Its not very common for staff to be outwardly bias. 

27 minutes ago, LeGerbs said:

I can absolutely agree that the fundamental teach over punish is pretty much gone with our new staff team. They are very quick to warn and call it good. That doesn't mean that people are handing out warns for no reason.  If you broke a rule you can expect to be punished for it. With this newer staff team though I do see little to no teaching they resort to the highest degree of punishment when possible.  Take for example NLR I have maybe 1 or two mass NLR bans on my history and a few bans for NLR + LTAP.  I usually resorted to a warn for NLR even if it was mass for new players. Now if the player knew what they were doing depending on their attitude I would ban them 1-3 days

Its not very common for staff to be outwardly bias. 

Agreed, but it IS common enough that 15 warns over a period of a year+

wouldn't be unheard of, especially since the rules on this server aren't exactly 

common amongst other DarkRP servers, meaning I got a load of warns when I was

first learning the ropes as I'm sure others have experienced as well,

and because of those warns I am slowly inching towards that week ban. 

I'm also not so much saying mods need to give out lighter punishments/verbal warnings.

I'm saying an arbitrary accumulative punishment like this is silly. 

As I said earlier, relying on a $10 moderation addon for your server to mindlessly punish

players is probably not a good incentive for keeping it enjoyable and reasonably fair. 

Just now, David Davidson said:

Agreed, but it IS common enough that 15 warns over a period of a year+

wouldn't be unheard of, especially since the rules on this server aren't exactly 

common amongst other DarkRP servers, meaning I got a load of warns when I was

first learning the ropes as I'm sure others have experienced as well,

and because of those warns I am slowly inching towards that week ban. 

I'm also not so much saying mods need to give out lighter punishments/verbal warnings.

I'm saying an arbitrary accumulative punishment like this is silly. 

As I said earlier, relying on a $10 moderation addon for your server to mindlessly punish

players is probably not a good incentive for keeping it enjoyable and reasonably fair. 

In my time of being staff verbal warnings were given out at a way more frequent rate than actual warns especially when they were new players. We do have an adverse set of rules compared to other RP servers. Things change and just because I don't like the enforcement style of rules nowadays doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. I can say with 100% confidence that our player numbers have dropped drastically. Whether that's due to the more frequent bans or just Garry's Mod not being as popular anymore it is an issue and I personally think it should be addressed to the current staff team.

28 minutes ago, LeGerbs said:

Things change and just because I don't like the enforcement style of rules nowadays doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. 

Doesn't mean they're right either 😉

32 minutes ago, LeGerbs said:

I can say with 100% confidence that our player numbers have dropped drastically. Whether that's due to the more frequent bans or just Garry's Mod not being as popular anymore it is an issue and I personally think it should be addressed to the current staff team.

Regardless of the cause, it's always about quality over quantity.

Which are ironically the players this 15 warn total insta-ban nonsense only really affects

because they're the ones who end up staying long enough to accumulate it. 

Not to say I'm calling myself quality, but obviously I give more of a shit about the server

than your average player, otherwise I wouldn't be here making threads about it.

Also if the current staff team is worth their salt they wouldn't need to be directly

contacted and informed. They would already be made aware of these

issues via this very forum. (which is more than slow enough to check every few days)

I'm not sure someone who doesn't care enough about the server

they staff to check the forums to see what the players are having issues with should even be one.