Controversial opinion: Reduce the number of server slots on TitsRp

Makoto

Do you think the number of slots on TitsRP should be reduced?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the number of slots on TitsRP should be reduced?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on how this summer goes

Based on the title, you probably know where this is going.

Based on years of observation and lurking, I believe that there are too many slots on TitsRP.

I understand that it was a long time goal of Sugar's for the server to be optimized for 128 people, but in my opinion, the current optics do not justify 128 slots.

I understand that schools are gradually going into summer break and that the server should (emphasize the should) see more activity, but what about the other 10 months of the year? Having the server sit at 45-68/128 for 10 months out of the year looks really bad and actively drives away potential new players. 

If you were a new player, which server would you likely want to join? The half full 64/128 server or a server that seems buzzing with 78/90? Human psychology would favor the 78/90.

If you go on gametracker and track TitsRP's stats, for the past 30 days, the server hasn't cracked 96 players (75% capacity!) during peak times. Actually, I'll paste the following link:

https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/208.103.169.23:27015/

In conclusion, 128 slots is too large for the current state of the server. I believe that 90 slots is the sweet spot for our community. Feel free to discuss what you all think.

• Like 3
  • thumbdown -1 3

+1, if server ever reaches max pop just increase it back up. This is pretty much how every server on any game works, players rather join a server that seems full (like 69/90) rather than half full (64/128)

Edited by OG BOT Dumbass
  • Like 1

I've done a bit of research on the Garry's Mod server browser and I can provide some information (I think) as to why the server pop has been substantially lower as of recently. 

So basically, the way it used to work (idk, 2004 - 2018) is that the servers with the highest population would show up on the Gmod server browser first. A ton of server owners complained to Facepunch about this because they felt it was the sole reason for their servers not "taking off" - more established communities / servers would always show up first because they had players. It makes sense.

So now, the server browser is based off of the Steam Master Server list. It takes into consideration - total playercount and server ping. If a server has >1 player and a low ping, it will show up on the serverlist first. In what order I'm not sure, but I know depending on your geo location, your server list will look different than someone else's because of ping. Many communities solve this issue by using a service called "AnyCast" to display the lowest ping possible to every user. Imagine AnyCast as a network of computers ('nodes') all over the globe. When you load into gmod, a server's name, ping, and playercount is sent to you from a 'node' that is closest to you - so the ping you see is not actually your ping to the game server, but the ping to that 'node'. As a result, your "ping" to that gmod server is very low which in turn means that server will show up in the server list first (as long as it has players). All of this is what calculates a server's "rank" (the red-to-green bar shown on the right side of each server in the server list). The higher the server's rank, the faster it is sent to you from the Steam Master Serverlist. 

Where am I going with this?  

A new hosting company called Tempest provides this AnyCast service for free to all customers. As a result, a vast majority of communities host with them. In fact we host our Rust servers with them and I believe this is why those servers reached 175 pop within 35 minutes of booting up with a default server name and no description. TitsRP is NOT hosted with AnyCast, although most servers are nowadays. We think the server count is low, in part, because we are not shown to users until after a large amount of server's are sent to them from the Steam Master Serverlist because their ping appears to be much higher. 

43 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I've done a bit of research on the Garry's Mod server browser and I can provide some information (I think) as to why the server pop has been substantially lower as of recently. 

So basically, the way it used to work (idk, 2004 - 2018) is that the servers with the highest population would show up on the Gmod server browser first. A ton of server owners complained to Facepunch about this because they felt it was the sole reason for their servers not "taking off" - more established communities / servers would always show up first because they had players. It makes sense.

So now, the server browser is based off of the Steam Master Server list. It takes into consideration - total playercount and server ping. If a server has >1 player and a low ping, it will show up on the serverlist first. In what order I'm not sure, but I know depending on your geo location, your server list will look different than someone else's because of ping. Many communities solve this issue by using a service called "AnyCast" to display the lowest ping possible to every user. Imagine AnyCast as a network of computers ('nodes') all over the globe. When you load into gmod, a server's name, ping, and playercount is sent to you from a 'node' that is closest to you - so the ping you see is not actually your ping to the game server, but the ping to that 'node'. As a result, your "ping" to that gmod server is very low which in turn means that server will show up in the server list first (as long as it has players). All of this is what calculates a server's "rank" (the red-to-green bar shown on the right side of each server in the server list). The higher the server's rank, the faster it is sent to you from the Steam Master Serverlist. 

Where am I going with this?  

A new hosting company called Tempest provides this AnyCast service for free to all customers. As a result, a vast majority of communities host with them. In fact we host our Rust servers with them and I believe this is why those servers reached 175 pop within 35 minutes of booting up with a default server name and no description. TitsRP is NOT hosted with AnyCast, although most servers are nowadays. We think the server count is low, in part, because we are not shown to users until after a large amount of server's are sent to them from the Steam Master Serverlist because their ping appears to be much higher. 

or its because people join attempt to raid get slammed by bases would violate every other servers base rules and quit. If they get threw this hurdle and stick around they then decide to get serious and start basing. They then get slammed by OP food and all materials are stripped from there base and then pelted with a legendary gun shooting 1000 rounds per min. Although anycast may be making it harder for people to find the server a larger problem is joining and then leaving due to the difficulty, abnormily, or other factors that I have not mentioned. 

• crybaby -1 1

i mean i was rockin w/ this post until u brought in raid/base meta, while it is why people leave, another reason is just the server comm itself ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ join -> see niggas talking about how much they love penis and sucking penis -> see furry models dancing with anime girls -> maybe try to base or just have fun by experimenting with kidnapping or cop job -> get killed within 0.1 seconds whenever u try to do anything -> even more sucking penis messages in chat -> leave.
literally just how gmod is, also @Rubikdidnt sugar say we were gonna have anycast like a while ago..

• crine 1

What if a major youtuber like elitelupis or a favorite of mine bub games comes onto this server and all his fans see that they like it.  Bub has been on tits before but if elite gets on and posts the ip that would be terrible because of the fan wave.  It would be like what happened to the 2B2T server on minecraft.

This is a what if maybe the fans would ignore this server.