LGBTQ Discrimination

Danutercisd

I have a request here. I know this/these words are used commonly, but that does not make it okay. I am mainly talking about words that are meant to insult people in the LGBTQ. The main word in particular I am talking about, is the word that starts with Fa, This word should not be allowed to be used at all in the way people use it in this community, and its always been used to insult people for a number of reasons, and its even worse when you actually use it in the way that pisses me and other members of the LGBTQ community off: to insult them. I am really disappointed in the way people who are LGBTQ are treated on this server in general, and I believe that a good first step to remedy this, is to disallow the use of not just the homophobic Fa word, but also dyke, tranny, and transsexual as well. Those few are just a handful of slurs offensive to the LGBTQ community, and if we just focus on the ones most commonly used, we can make this community a better place for everyone. Please, Doc, Rubik, Sugar, and admins, please look at this request seriously. I've tolerated the use of this word, but I do not condone this word, and there have been incidents where trans people have been discriminated against. If racism isn't allowed, then transphobia, as well as  homophobia should not be allowed either then. I hope this can help make Tits RP a better place. We're here to have fun after all, and as a member of the LGBTQ, and an ally of the trans community, I know that putting this in effect, or even just not allowing discrimination against people for sexuality, would definitely make Tits RP a better place to play.

By the way the FA word in particular is censored on the forums, so it should not be allowed in-game

Edited by Dan Mcstubbins
edit
  • Thanks 1
  • cmonBruh 1
  • Angry -1 1
  • thumbdown -1 2

10 minutes ago, Abstergo McStubbins said:

Props to you for standing up in what you believe in I guess. You're probably gonna get memed on hard for this though, might have been a better idea to bring this up in a staff meeting or something. Overall I'm neutral on this topic. I think people ideally should be acting and speaking in a way that doesn't denigrate the LGBT members of the community, but at the same time this is the first time I've seen anyone bring this up. I don't think the current system is so bad; not doing anything until somebody has an issue. Don't forget that even as a staff member you are allowed to be that person who has an issue if this kind of stuff does get out of hand.

On the other hand, taking away 15 year olds right to call eachother faggots in a video game is going to be met with some pretty heavy backlash.

I'm not on the server sometimes, so if a staff member thinks it isn't an issue to them, then the person being discriminated against is in a predicament. 

Dan, this is a very interesting suggestion. All of your examples including racism and the use of slurs against sexual orientation fall under hate crime. I also do not appreciate seeing hate crime on our server but at the same time, the internet is a very weird place with no actual way to police it. I would like to see a complete ban on things like fa or other terms but if we follow through with this, where does it stop? or do we completely ban all terms that can be seen as verbal abuse under hate crimes. So any verbal/text based insults regarding ethinicity (racism), disability, language, nationality, physical appearance, religion, gender identity and sexual orientation would be banned? 

All in all, i think it is a good idea but it is not feasible. The internet and games like darkrp are a place for people to be unfiltered to a degree. not saying that racism is worse than hate of a sexual orientation. But i think racism is an easier standard and collectively agreeable sort of line to draw. It is definetely morally correct but realisitically impossible. 

48 minutes ago, Reiko said:

So any verbal/text based insults regarding ethinicity (racism), disability, language, nationality, physical appearance, religion, gender identity and sexual orientation would be banned? 

All in all, i think it is a good idea but it is not feasible. The internet and games like darkrp are a place for people to be unfiltered to a degree. not saying that racism is worse than hate of a sexual orientation. But i think racism is an easier standard and collectively agreeable sort of line to draw. It is definetely morally correct but realisitically impossible. 

I believe that would be the best thing to implement, and would benefit the server as a whole. At the least, you should not be saying slurs related to sexual orientation, gender, or race, as those cannot be naturally controlled. If we are able to allow reports from other servers related to  members of the community, then I believe this should be implemented as well. 

While I generally agree with you here I don't see it as issue until it is used as a way to harass someone or attack a group of people, and while not impossible to enforce I'm not sure It'd be the best in the long run. However what I could see as a possible solution is limiting the context these words are used kind of like how Abstergo put it as it would be easier to enforce and give more of a middle ground for people who are neutral or disagree completely.

I think there needs to be a line drawn on how much we police people. Currently we do not allow users to be overly offensive. We don't allow users to be overly homophobic, or transphobic, or whatever. The general consensus is if you are harassing someone and being a piece of shit about it, then we step in. I don't agree with policing people for just saying ****** or dyke if it's in a consensual manner and they aren't being excessive with it. Especially when its out of ooc.

I think at a certain point it's just banter and shitting around, and it's not worth the trouble if no one is being targeted or harassed for their sexuality, gender, whatever.

Current system seems fair, might just need to be enforced more.

Edited by Blue.
  • Thanks 1

I'm -1 and here's why. (I'm using my phone so don't expect perfect punctuation)

The slur F****t has more or less changed it's meaning over the past decade. When most people use this word its calling them a dumbass/asshole or someone they generally just don't like. It's not directed at the LGBT group. 

Let's be real guys this is the internet people are gonna say shit, talk big and overall be offensive. By policing people more and more it's going to drop the player numbers even more. Our player numbers have dropped so much over the past five months. 

I mean this with all due respect but people really need to stop getting so worked up over words like retard, f****t etc. You have the 100% power to ignore OOC and VC unless you're staff. A certain word that starts with N shouldn't be allowed as it is DIRECTLY insulting a certain race.

Not being a douche but this servers name is "TitsRP" and we allow swastikas and all sorts of other crap because sometimes it's funny. 

If you really can't handle someone saying mean words than you probably shouldn't be staff. Again I say this as a broad statement not directed at you Dan or any others.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Blue. said:

I think there needs to be a line drawn on how much we police people. Currently we do not allow users to be overly offensive. We don't allow users to be overly homophobic, or transphobic, or whatever. The general consensus is if you are harassing someone and being a piece of shit about it, then we step in. I don't agree with policing people for just saying ****** or dyke if it's in a consensual manner and they aren't being excessive with it. Especially when its out of ooc.

I think at a certain point it's just banter and shitting around, and it's not worth the trouble if no one is being targeted or harassed for their sexuality, gender, whatever.

Current system seems fair, might just need to be enforced more.

I agree to an extent with you. I think the current system is good, but I still believe that ******, out of all words, is overused too much, and it is a slur as well. Hearing that being used freely, especially being used against people who are LGBTQ, really irks me, and I don't think it should be allowed to be used freely, even if they aren't using it to insult someone, because it is a slur just like the hard r. If someone says the hard r, they get gigamuted, but if someone says ******, then they don't get shit done to them. I disagree with that completely. I'm not trying to be the PC police, but it's 2021, and there's more than just racism to worry about. 

35 minutes ago, LeGerbs said:

The slur F****t has more or less changed it's meaning over the past decade. When most people use this word its calling them a dumbass/asshole or someone they generally just don't like. It's not directed at the LGBT group.

****** is known worldwide, unanimously, as a slur torwards gay people, and that doesn't mean that just because people don't use it that way, means it's alright. How would you justify saying the hard r? I've heard people use this before to ALSO call someone a dumbass. 

38 minutes ago, LeGerbs said:

Let's be real guys this is the internet people are gonna say shit, talk big and overall be offensive. By policing people more and more it's going to drop the player numbers even more. Our player numbers have dropped so much over the past five months. 

We shouldn't have the ability to call someone a slur or the ability to use slurs freely be the reason why we retain player numbers. That's the wrong reason. I get that obviously shit goes down, but you can control what goes down in a community. Like I said, if we're willing to handle reports on other servers related to members of the community, then we can easily handle limiting words that insult or discriminate people due to gender and sexual orientation, things that cannot be easily changed. 

42 minutes ago, LeGerbs said:

If you really can't handle someone saying mean words than you probably shouldn't be staff. Again I say this as a broad statement not directed at you Dan or any others.

I disagree. No matter what you decide to do, you aren't obligated to listen to people harass you or other people for your sexual orientation, gender, and race. Nobody needs to tolerate it, so instead of trying to make people all tough and rigid, we should try making it a better community by coming together. Limiting slurs would be a good first step in bettering tits. I know it is called TITS, but that doesn't mean we should allow people to harass and dox trans people, which TITS RP has had happen at least twice. 

Now I'm all for warning or banning people if they are actually going after people who are LGBTQ or gay with slurs to intentionally harass or bully them. Like if a female joins the server and keeps getting made fun of for their gender than we do step in tell people to stop. But I think if we were to ban or warn for these reasons staff should be have to "read the room" like was it said to be hateful towards some who it does happen to be offense to which in this case if a sit was made i believe it should be fine to tell the person who said it to stop first and if they continue to go on with other punishments. If its just two friends being bullies to eachother but someone from outside their friend group see is in ooc or and advert or something and gets offended, if a sit is made id basically just say bring them to a sit ask if they could at least leave that talk to pms, party, gang chat, etc...

But you gotta remember a lot of players here play for the retardation of what is titsrp and are big "memers"

Edited by Tass

• KDawg locked this topic