Happy Autism Awareness Month!

TheRealHex

Hello my fellow TitsRPers! It is April, which means it is Autism Awareness Month! An estimated 2.2% of the United States population is estimated to be on the Autism Spectrum in some capacity, which is a total of 5.4 million adults. This number doesn't include all of the (unfortunately) undiagnosed adults and children who live among us. 

Autistic folks are often misunderstood because of our issues with communication in social situation, emotional processing, and several other important aspects in our lives. Because it is a spectrum, some people are higher support needs, while some people can get along in life fine with very few supports. I know of several people on the server who share the diagnosis of autism on the server, and we are all very different people with different opinions, views, triggers, and enjoyments. No two people who are on the spectrum are going to be the same, and that uniqueness should be celebrated.

This is also a reminder to not fuck with Autism Speaks as they support eugenics and other very disturbing methods of either trying to "cure" autism (which is not possible) or trying to find ways to make Autistic people mask heavier than they already do, which can has has caused more severe distressing symptoms relating to autism.

In short, take some time this month to look at all the autistic folks throughout time who has contributed amazing things to our society and helped us grow as a species.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • thumbdown -1 1

2 hours ago, TheRealHex said:

Hello my fellow TitsRPers! It is April, which means it is Autism Awareness Month! An estimated 2.2% of the United States population is estimated to be on the Autism Spectrum in some capacity, which is a total of 5.4 million adults. This number doesn't include all of the (unfortunately) undiagnosed adults and children who live among us. 

Autistic folks are often misunderstood because of our issues with communication in social situation, emotional processing, and several other important aspects in our lives. Because it is a spectrum, some people are higher support needs, while some people can get along in life fine with very few supports. I know of several people on the server who share the diagnosis of autism on the server, and we are all very different people with different opinions, views, triggers, and enjoyments. No two people who are on the spectrum are going to be the same, and that uniqueness should be celebrated.

This is also a reminder to not fuck with Autism Speaks as they support eugenics and other very disturbing methods of either trying to "cure" autism (which is not possible) or trying to find ways to make Autistic people mask heavier than they already do, which can has has caused more severe distressing symptoms relating to autism.

In short, take some time this month to look at all the autistic folks throughout time who has contributed amazing things to our society and helped us grow as a species.

Bro no need to call out markcx like that. :(

spacer.png

3 hours ago, TheRealHex said:

BRO ACTULLY SAID among us.

• crine 1

Good educational post. I was not aware of Autism Speaks being so anti-autism. I have two brothers both diagnosed with autism, and they went through the same thing you describe. The masking of the autism and trying to normalize them instead of focusing on their strengths, was rough on them. Appreciate the info!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coconut Overflow said:

Good educational post. I was not aware of Autism Speaks being so anti-autism. I have two brothers both diagnosed with autism, and they went through the same thing you describe. The masking of the autism and trying to normalize them instead of focusing on their strengths, was rough on them. Appreciate the info!

Part of the battle of getting myself diagnosed meant learning a lot of this stuff first hand, but I've been very thankful for all the information I've been able to access. I'm still working through a personal deficit because of long-term masking due to a missed diagnosis. I hope your brothers are doing well, and thank you so so much for your amazingly positive post. It sincerely means the world to me, Coconut.

• Like 2