( Trigger warning ) basing changes [2017 basing proposal]

Rubik

Just now, dokerz said:

Hey stud. I may have just missed it but whats the point of banning one way props if you can just use color glow thing that lets you see threw?

-love dokers

(this include those. i think you might need to go to a doctor)

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 6:40 AM, Packet said:

Big boom takes no skill and if you're rich enough, no matter what base you're up against, you can raid it. If you spam enough c4, there's no shot someone can defend against it. Not saying it is efficient but it's a lot harder to defend bases currently than it used to be before c4.  Bases looked differently, you could actually viably base in smaller areas, now you cannot. Either the c4 mechanics have to change or a lot of other things do.

that's not really how it works. the raider has to watch out for people taking over his raid, cops arresting him/countering, batman, defenders on the outside, and then also has to run through the base to even get in, in which the defender already has an advantage as he can shoot the guy before they even get to a face to face gunfight. The defender can also shoot c4 out, so the whole spamming c4 thing really doesn't work when the defender has a clear counter to it of just shooting it out. Also i think a lot of people are forgetting that defenders also have the same items as raiders.. raiders arent the only ones with damage food and holy nades etc. This whole smoke spam thing can be countered immediately by throwing 1 holy nade to prevent them eating smoke food. Defender can also blowtorch through the top of their own base to get to the outside (underused mechanic btw it works so well) and catch the raider offguard with a face to face gunfight like that. 

With the thing Hoopajoob showed, the player has to be counting in the midst of all the chaos for the perfect time to launch it, also accounting for their own ping, the server's ping (if it's lagging), and the delay of when the timer hits 0 to when the bomb goes off, along with the server being incredibly unreliable with if an item will slip out of your gravgun. You will also just not reach the backend of the base using this, in Hoopajoop's clip there would still be a layer of props that aren't hit, meaning again, the raider has to run in. "but smoke food!" holy nade?! just spam the entrance?!

Also yeah, having bombs and stuff being thrown in where wherever the bomb lands actually matters is a lot more of an enjoyable and fun to learn raiding system than the one that's been in the game since the start of DarkRP where you just lockpick a fading door or blowtorch a wall. Another thing, for whoever said in reference to Merha's clip 'cant the raider just smoke it', you do realise there is still audio and only 1 of 3 areas where the raider will be, they also have to be stood infront of your fading doors to get through so you can pretty accurately shoot from either the side, or from straight ahead, which again will simply disadvantage the raider since they themselves are smoked off and have no clue where the other guy is but the other guy can pop his fading door and kill. 

One final point, just because someone has 100s of c4 doesn't mean they cannot be shot and killed. No one is going to waste 100 c4 on a base, even veterans, and even if they do that doesn't mean you can't do the same thing you'd do to the guy with 5 c4, which is just use holy nades to delete big c4 and then just shoot the c4 out. (Hoopajoops video is only for timebombs, not c4)

note: are we going to say the defender cannot just stand by the corner and shoot hoopajoop in that clip.. or like whenever he tries to move and peeks for a split second he will get mowed down by a legendary..

Edited by Tene
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tene said:

With the thing Hoopajoob showed, the player has to be counting in the midst of all the chaos for the perfect time to launch it, also accounting for their own ping, the server's ping (if it's lagging), and the delay of when the timer hits 0 to when the bomb goes off, along with the server being incredibly unreliable with if an item will slip out of your gravgun. You will also just not reach the backend of the base using this, in Hoopajoop's clip there would still be a layer of props that aren't hit, meaning again, the raider has to run in. "but smoke food!" holy nade?! just spam the entrance?!

<snip>

note: are we going to say the defender cannot just stand by the corner and shoot hoopajoop in that clip.. or like whenever he tries to move and peeks for a split second he will get mowed down by a legendary..

almost all of that can be accounted for, as far as ping and server lag goes

i've gotten precise enough to just launch a timebomb up the pd vault's vent chute to clear out props quickly instead of trisha'ing a path what for mayor assassinating, so dealing with bomb timing really isn't so much of an issue when it comes to accounting for ping or lag

also in that quick and dirty clip i slapped together, i didn't cover every single angle with a camera (i could, if you'd really like), but it is quite possible to launch timebombs with impunity from complete safety

one could also launch a timebomb at an angle and shoot it along an inside wall to take out layers further back, still behind the cover of a world-generated wall while giving a defender an incredibly short window of time to react, if they even can

that said, i think the discussion has shifted more away from rubik's suggestions and more into a discussion of base vs raider balance, which i don't think was the original intention at all

i think we can all agree that the defender should have the advantage-- after all, a raider can just come back and try again in twenty minutes

i think the original intention of this topic was to figure a way to make raiding more accessible to more players, to maybe cut down on how long and resource-intensive it actually takes to learn the ins and outs of how it's all supposed to work

'cause to me a healthy raiding and basing scene involves loads of people basing and raiding, either to get new stuff or to get old stuff back, going on pretty consistently

the system we have now just culminates in the climate we currently have, where newer players are effectively shut out of the process until they get established enough to feel comfortable with blowing a chunk of resources to gamble on a largely uphill (or even entirely doomed, depending on who's basing) battle, leaving fewer participants overall

Edited by Hoopajoop
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hoopajoop said:

i've gotten precise enough to just launch a timebomb up the pd vault's vent chute to clear out props quickly instead of trisha'ing a path what for mayor assassinating, so dealing with bomb timing really isn't so much of an issue when it comes to accounting for ping or lag

grav gunning a timebomb into a vent where it cant be shot back and cant go anywhere other than straight up the vent =/= shooting a c4 in with a gun/ running it in to a base where you or the c4 is being shot at and it can go to the other side of the base.

12 minutes ago, bugman said:

grav gunning a timebomb into a vent where it cant be shot back and cant go anywhere other than straight up the vent =/= shooting a c4 in with a gun/ running it in to a base where you or the c4 is being shot at and it can go to the other side of the base.

that comment was more regarding the assertion that the ping/lag/whatever of the server and connection makes it hard to time a punt in a way where the defender's window of time to react is incredibly small, than anything else

• Confused 1