Innacurate entity owner tag

Sticks

Category:

Bug

Priority:

Medium

Description:

Spawn anything, wait a few minutes, the name tag that pops up when you look at it now shows either nothing, "no owner", or a random player on the server. This makes it nigh impossible to determine who owns props or entities

How to reproduce:

Spawn anything, wait a few minutes, the name tag that pops up when you look at it now shows either "no owner" or a random player on the server. All of the drugs below were planted by me and only I interacted with them. This also works with props

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Like 1

It will help a lot if you can get the name of the entities that this happens for. So far I see plants and meth pipes. Anything else in particular this happens with a lot or is it completely random? Idk if you're able to move meth pipes but are you unable to move other props when it shows the wrong owner?

15 hours ago, Rubik said:

It will help a lot if you can get the name of the entities that this happens for. So far I see plants and meth pipes. Anything else in particular this happens with a lot or is it completely random? Idk if you're able to move meth pipes but are you unable to move other props when it shows the wrong owner?

Like coba said, literally everything that has nametags, the name tags are wrong

I questioned it and was told it was to prevent entities despawning or bugging out or something. It works on stuff like bitminers, props, pianos, crafting tables, rocks, wood etc etc. If the user whose name is on the item goes over to it they actually don't have the permissions to change anything about it. I tested this when I saw a rock with a friend's name on it, he came over to it and didn't have the ability to physgun it or use toolgun etc etc, so I do believe it was meant for entities or something but I don't understand how it really benefits anything as prior to it I didn't really have entities despawning anyways.

4 hours ago, cobaselic said:

Staff can't even see who's prop it actually is. So if we bring someone to remove a prop or something, chances are high that you'll bring the wrong person. It's kinda dumb if it's a feature that's supposed to help.

Sometimes you can see it, but a majority of the time it just doesn't pop up, its sad

So I remember having an issue and someone else said my name was on the meth pipe and they screen shared and it showed that I owned the meth pipe for them but when I looked at the meth pipe someone else owned it but none of us spawned it in. The player who spawned it in called a sit and told them they can't move the meth pipe but really nobody could.

16 hours ago, cobaselic said:

Staff can't even see who's prop it actually is. So if we bring someone to remove a prop or something, chances are high that you'll bring the wrong person. It's kinda dumb if it's a feature that's supposed to help.

I actually didn't even mean to include props in the list of things that have inaccurate owners as in my mind they SHOULD despawn after 5 minutes when the player leaves so if it was there to prevent despawning on entities, it shouldn't happen with props as they aren't supposed to stay for that long after the owner disconnects. I spawned a desk onto someone's stage and realised it didn't say my name on it. With entities it's not that big of an issue, just like a inconvenience ig, but with props it literally just means people can propblock and have people call sits on other guys, or, if no staff are on, it could lead to someone screenshotting a users propblock and reporting them on the forums when the player being reported actually hasn't done shit.