[Official] Suggestions for the Server

TitsRP

Get rid of the family sharing bans as it violates steams privacy policy. (Third parties need consent to access a client's steam info) (steam id's and ips are not are part of it. You can access that)

I'm not sure if you're joking, but no lol. By joining the server, you are giving consent, as your client sends the server all your information (steam id, ip, machine information, etc). It's like walking into an airport and telling them they can't let you not take off just because you're on the terrorist watchlist, as you never gave consent to be added to the list.

That would be the case if it wasn't a third party script that detects whether or not an account is using family sharing. Public info is public info, but using a script to find information from a client without the clients consent unfortunately does not fall under public information. Anything you have to use a script to uncover is not public.

Get rid of the family sharing bans as it violates steams privacy policy. (Third parties need consent to access a client's steam info) (steam id's and ips are not are part of it. You can access that)

You can play on the server with a shared account, not an issue. When you're banned on your main account and you join on a shared account then you will be banned. It goes through the steam api. It does nothing checks to see if the account is shared. If it is shared, it gets the steamid of the parented account and bans it. No info is stored, it just goes.

A lot of other addons do this and they have been running for a lot longer than this one I made. I guess I can add a "Privacy" page but I don't see how this is a big deal.

Edit: I was gonna say what Blacnova said too but I couldn't find any "Legal Terms" that dealt with joining servers. The whole game uses your API and anyone can just grab your info.

Upon looking up the twen steam api, I made a few discoveries. There are two catergories, public and private. Game ID falls under private, however, it only stays private if your profile is set to private. So that checks out. This requires further testing.

The script does not access any information you cannot. You can view any of the information I can view.

All of this information is publicly documented. I would assume the terms are saying something along the lines that you cannot force someone to give their information if they aren't using some sort of steam product / you don't ask them. For example, if I had a cooking website and it forced you to auth with steam without your consent (such as connecting to the website and it logs you in through steam without any notice), that would be a different story.

If you're playing a game that uses steam's services, I would 100% assume you are giving consent for your information to be accessed. Some games disallow family sharing in general, are you saying they are also breaking the guidelines because the game wasn't supposed to know that account was family sharing? The info isn't private. Anyone can access it, regardless if your account is private or public

Gmod scripts generally access about four to five items standard having to do with your basic client information.

These things are:

Steam profile

Both Steam IDs

Family sharing accounts

And the users IP address.

I say again that these things are standard for any game mode in gmod or steam for that matter.

When signing up for steam you agree to a EULA or end user license agreement which gives steam permission to obtain these items. As we all know a EULA if a legally binding agreement. 

Which is why being banned on a family shared account after already getting banned on a main account is, as I've found, pretty standard throughout all of gmod. And any add-on sugar creates to expedite this process is completely legal and does not access anything that is not already well known to steam and any user with a little bit of network knowhow

(Excuse the rambling, I'm typing this on my smoke break at work, and I've only had about two hours of sleep. Coherent thoughts are not my strong suits when sleep deprived)

Please remove scratch offs from the PD stations nothing worse than going fast to buy armor and getting stuck trying to do a scratch off.

+1 fucking Billion

That shit makes me hecka impatient

+100 billion

I'm not sure if you're joking, but no lol. By joining the server, you are giving consent, as your client sends the server all your information (steam id, ip, machine information, etc). It's like walking into an airport and telling them they can't let you not take off just because you're on the terrorist watchlist, as you never gave consent to be added to the list.

That would be the case if it wasn't a third party script that detects whether or not an account is using family sharing. Public info is public info, but using a script to find information from a client without the clients consent unfortunately does not fall under public information. Anything you have to use a script to uncover is not public.

You can play on the server with a shared account, not an issue. When you're banned on your main account and you join on a shared account then you will be banned. It goes through the steam api. It does nothing checks to see if the account is shared. If it is shared, it gets the steamid of the parented account and bans it. No info is stored, it just goes.

A lot of other addons do this and they have been running for a lot longer than this one I made. I guess I can add a "Privacy" page but I don't see how this is a big deal.

Edit: I was gonna say what Blacnova said too but I couldn't find any "Legal Terms" that dealt with joining servers. The whole game uses your API and anyone can just grab your info.

Upon looking up the twen steam api, I made a few discoveries. There are two catergories, public and private. Game ID falls under private, however, it only stays private if your profile is set to private. So that checks out. This requires further testing.

So if I walk into a building that scans me upon entry, and I'm detected of carrying a weapon, the employees may not remove me because they are not the building itself?

Bad analogy, but you get the point. The addons are a part of the server, when the server starts up the addons run with it.

Also, what you're saying really doesn't make sense. The addon doesn't gather any information that isn't already publically accessible using steam's api. I could just manually take your steamid and use it in the api and it would produce the same result, this just automates the process. In conclusion, the information being utilized by the addon is public, anyone could view it without your connecting to the server.

I only have one suggestion, and it has to do with the legacy job jigsaw.

OKay so you know how while playing as jigsaw in order to kill someone you have to do !sleep right

Well I was thinking that maybe we change this up a bit and maybe add a new legacy character. 

Jigsaw at his base is not a serial killer, and therefore maybe he shouldn't be able to tp and kill, but instead maybe he can tp and knock someone out, after which he could place them I'm a "torture chamber" and give them a certain amount of time to escape before he kills them. After rewatching the saw series for the hundredth time I figured this would be a good idea.

What becomes of the sleep command though?

Simple, Freddy Kreuger. Create a Freddy Krueger legacy job who uses the sleep command, only instead of just tping to kill the victim, this command puts the victim into a temporary state of "sleep paralysis" which could have the same vision effects of one of the drugs on the server without the physical effects while also freezing them in place for say ten seconds after Freddy teleported.

I'm interested to see other people's opinions on this idea and what changes they could make to better perfect this idea

• Rubik unpinned this topic