Gravity Gun

Zesty

Category:

Bug

Priority:

Medium

Description:

Holding a prop / entity with your gravity gun for a bit causes it to disconnect randomly. I usually do parcels when I am bored, and it makes doing them fairly frustrating when it disconnects like this.
I am not the only player who has had this issue, and usually if it effects to one player, it effects multiple players.
https://medal.tv/clips/57551348/d1337US4YYHt

How to reproduce:

Hold a prop / entity with your gravity gun.
Doesn't happen at all hours of the server, but when it does it usually lasts for a while.
This isn't caused by player count, due to it happening even during low pop (20-30 players).

1 hour ago, HIDDEN said:

I don't entirely think it's a server bug (I may be wrong) but I know that a similar issue occurs in other DarkRP sand Sandbox servers, though the video seems to be a bit extreme so maybe it could be something else. Either way,

1.) Default HL2/GMod has a maximum timer that you can hold items with the gravity gun, I think it's something unrealistically high but I do know it exists, so maybe the server is somehow altering this value

2.) High lag/ping can cause you to drop the item because during a lag spike (which can sometimes be small and unnoticable) the server is unable to verify that the user is "holding" the object and drops it

My ping is usually under 100, so I don't believe its a ping issue. It could be a lag issue though

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 7:33 PM, HIDDEN said:

2.) High lag/ping can cause you to drop the item because during a lag spike (which can sometimes be small and unnoticable) the server is unable to verify that the user is "holding" the object and drops it

This is probably the best / most probable answer but as of right now I am unable to reproduce this. 

On 7/22/2021 at 6:00 PM, Rubik said:

This is probably the best / most probable answer but as of right now I am unable to reproduce this. 

It doesn't seem like its due to ping, it happens even when I have <70 ms

Edited by Zesty

It looks like it happens at completely random times, I've also experienced this and it's not only with parcels, it's with generally everything you can grav gun. I was trying to fill tilling plots with cocaine seeds and it kept dropping on the floor and into random plots because the grav gun was bugging out. It happens to everyone serverwide at random times, it can go for a whole day without happening then happen for the next 30 minutes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a VERY old bug as I have been dealing with a more mild version of the same issue for well over seven years.
It tends to happen more randomly for me and MUCH less frequently, I would compare it to my grav gun having a benign tumor while yours has terminal brain cancer.
Like others have mentioned this has happened to me on other servers but typically only occurs while moving.

If anyone can find the root cause, I would love to know why myself, it definitely isn't ping as I have even seen it happen in single player.

(This is also an issue that loves to happen right as a timebomb gets to 1 second remaining.)