Automatic week ban for total of 15 accumulated warns

David Davidson

It's really not that hard to just follow the rules. Obvious as it is, the warn system is there to tell players that they are breaking a rule and that they need to stop. That's the entire reason why they get banned from it. If you have gotten 15+ warns and were banned, then you need to take a step back and think "Hey, I might need to stop breaking the rules" if you are wanting to stay on the server. Otherwise, people will just get banned anyway and won't give two shits about it.

Removing this feature on the warn system wouldn't be the best choice as it has stopped a lot of people who have broken the rules. Some make it to 15 and stop. If that doesn't stop them, then they'll eventually hit 50 and be permanently banned.

And like a lot of people who commented here, they all have been playing for quite some time and yet most of them have very little punishments because they actually follow the rules. You're not guaranteed a warning unless you actually did something to break a rule. If you do get a warning that's complete BS then definitely report that.

Fortunately for old time players, you will soon be able to get your old warnings removed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Booper Scooper said:

It's really not that hard to just follow the rules.

Stopped reading there.

You can see my previous posts in this thread if you

want to know why this is a dumb thing to say.

Not to make a non-post post but seriously read the thread (including all of the OP)

before shitting out the rhetoric please.

• Failfish 1
  • thumbdown -1 2

35 minutes ago, David Davidson said:

before shitting out the rhetoric please.

1 hour ago, Booper Scooper said:

If you do get a warning that's complete BS then definitely report that.

^ he covered your "concern"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ItHappens said:

^ he covered your "concern"

I'm not a mod nor do I wish to be one.

It isn't my job to record every single sit I'm in (sometimes 20+ minutes)

on the off chance I get unfairly warned at the end of it.

As per my original post, there will always be shitty staff.

With the high turnover rate they'll probably quit in a few weeks/months

anyway.

The point is, you are trying to justify automating long bans 

because "guhh you must have broken da rules!!!!"

Just now, ItHappens said:

Then because you don't feel like having your own evidence setup you will get those false warns. Higher ups wont know about the power hungry staff unless you report them homie.

Again, not my job to police staff, and it isn't really an issue with staff because

every Gmod server has this type of staffing issues/high turnover.

it's an issue with an automated ban system.

If a mod feels I've done something worthy of a ban then so be it,

but this is just an arbitrary thing that nobody considers because

it's easier to blame players than admit relying on an automated system

when dealing with gray areas is retarded.

So here's the thing. Warns are already being discussed on being voided after a year or two. They will still be there but they will not be counted as an actual warn. Yes, there will be bad eggs, that's just a fact, but if you ACTUALLY obtain 15 warns then you clearly need to study the motd more, ask about things you aren't sure of, etc. I think an automated ban for getting 1 warn but you had 14 warns from 2017 is stupid. I can agree on that, but if you need 15 reminders to follow the rules within a reasonable time period, then you totally deserve a week off.

There are flaws with this system, as there tends to be with any sort of punishment system, so thats why in the MOTD we highly encourage users to record/gather any sort of evidence when they can. Higher ups aren't all seeing, as crazy as that sounds. We won't notice bad staff unless we are seeing reports/recieving complaints about staff. (Unless we see it ourselves) It is important that if you receive any punishment you feel is unjustified that you report it. That way it can start a discussion on whether or not the punishment is valid. Some people refuse to report things that aren't the biggest deal because they don't want to be petty, but it is so important to bring it to our attention if you genuinely feel you were punished incorrectly. That is your responsibility as a user on the server

If you have some ideas on a system that would be superior than the current system, I'd like to hear them.

Me personally, I value education over punishment, especially when it comes to things done against me, and i stress the same to all of the staff I have trained, if they don't uphold that then it is an issue and must be brought to our attention

Edited by Blue.

8 hours ago, Blue. said:

yes, there will be bad eggs, that's just a fact, but if you ACTUALLY obtain 15 warns then you clearly need to study the motd more, ask about things you aren't sure of, etc. I think an automated ban for getting 1 warn but you had 14 warns from 2017 is stupid. I can agree on that, but if you need 15 reminders to follow the rules within a reasonable time period, then you totally deserve a week off.

Again, the bulk of them are from when I was brand new

and were over a year ago. My warns have slowed down since then

obviously as Ive gotten better at playing by the rules but that doesnt mean

I wont encounter 4-5 more shitty staffers if I continue to put so many hours in to

the server.

8 hours ago, Blue. said:

There are flaws with this system, as there tends to be with any sort of punishment system, so thats why in the MOTD we highly encourage users to record/gather any sort of evidence when they can.

I completely understand this but again, it is not reasonable for me to be expected to turn my leisure time in to

a job. I'm not going to record 10000 30 second clips of 20 minute sits on the off chance the mod is gonna slap me with an

unjustified warn.

Of course I try and gather evidence for rule breakers, abusers etc but doing so in this instance is not as easy

as clipping an RDM. And again, whether I report them or not chances are they're going to quit in a few weeks/months

anyway because again, nobody likes wasting their time handling other players squabbles (for free, and for more than a few weeks once the feeling of having power subsides).

8 hours ago, Blue. said:

If you have some ideas on a system that would be superior than the current system, I'd like to hear them.

Me personally, I value education over punishment, especially when it comes to things done against me, and i stress the same to all of the staff I have trained, if they don't uphold that then it is an issue and must be brought to our attention

Literally just remove the auto-ban. I agree education over punishment should be the goal, which is

why this is the antithesis to that. It isn't a human making the decision to ban you, it's arbitrary

and it's obviously a feature of the moderation addon the server is using because at first glance you would

think 'yeah 15 warns is a lot so they deserve it!', but again, it really only affects long term players like myself

because any staff worth his salt would check the previous warns/bans and be able to determine if a week ban

is necessary to turn players around.

I don't go out of my way to break rules, I try hard to avoid breaking them actually so a week ban for basically

nothing is just going to make me go find some other server to play on, not that I want to but you're dealing

with people and people dont like being treated unfairly.

It's the same thing as banning someone outright VS taking the time to explain to them how they broke the

rules and how they can do better. 

Edited by David Davidson