Force new players to read rules

Danutercisd

I kinda just thought about this, and I think it could decrease the amount of sits that are called, if we put some kind of barrier to prevent new people from just running out there, and making them read the rules, it could help significantly, especially with RDM cases. Simply, maybe some kind of timer followed by a command typed in chat(like !Agree) after they read the rules. Maybe it's not the best way to make new players read the rules, and we could just leave it up to their discretion, but I think it could alleviate the amount of sits that happen because a new player doesn't know the rules. 

45 minutes ago, Cobaselic said:

9 times out of 10, new players are aware of what RDM is and that it isn't allowed. They just say they don't to try to get themselves out of trouble. It's on them to read the rules, if they decide not to, they get themselves banned. No need to force anything upon anyone.

I do agree with that. I just thought it would be worth a try. It could help with unnecessary sits, but I understand. It's on them.

I am unsure if this is on the !motd or not, I tried scrolling thought it, and I am probably too blind to see it, but at the bottom or top you should have something that pertains to, 

"IGNORANCE OF THE LAW DOES NOT UPHOLD IN COURT"

"YOU ARE SUBJECT TO PUNISHMENT REGARDLESS OF YOUR NEGLIGENCE TO READ THE SERVER, FORUM, AND DISCORD/TEAMSPEAK RULES"

Something to that effect. I used to staff on a server, and we had a problem where people would complain that "Oh, I didn't read the rules" or "Oh, I didn't know that was a thing." (And in some cases, there are people who make innocent mistakes, which is understandable, not everyone if perfect). But most cases, I found that people would just say that to get out of trouble and use it as an excuse to minge/rdm. We used an example like this to basically cover our asses when banning people for minging, so they couldn't turn around and use the ignorance card in a sit or on an appeal.

Edit: NVM I just saw it XD, sorry bout that

"Not reading the rules is your own fault, our rules differ from most servers" 

Edited by Hecker

I don't think we're going to go in this direction for the time being. We have a great staff team and I think they do a wonderful job of moderating the server without the need to force competent players to read the rules. I'd say 90% of the playerbase can function on our server without being forced to read the rules, staff will take care of the other 10%. 

• Like 1