Lightsabers

KDawg

What would you like instead of lightsabers  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like instead of lightsabers

• More weapons to chose from such as a variety of guns
    • Let us swap it out with existing weapons
    • Make a SWEP that has some kind of sililarity to the lightsaber except no jump / speed / force, ect

It has come to my attention that lightsabers offer a significant server performance impact both clientside and server side. There are ways to effectively solve this but they are not pretty and the last time I did it, it did make some people upset because "You can take anything else away but you can't take our lightsabers, I don't care how much it hurts my FPS" or something. But since I just did it out of the blue, people rioted.

So I am offering a discussion on them. Here are some points to think about

• Removing them all together and swapping it out for some agreed tool / weapon that you feel is worth $15 mil ingame / $10 IRL cash
  • Removing them all together and just swapping everyone's lightsaber on their class for 2 $5 weapons or something equivalent
  • Make hacky work arounds to make lightsabers less appealing, less useful but in all better performance serverside. Clientside is kinda a lost cause

So the question you may have is: "Does it really effect it THAT much". Yes. It's 4x more expensive to call than other gamemode functions such as calculating your animations which is very expensive. It is also just as expensive on the client. Being slightly higher than calling the HUD Paint hook which draws your HUD which is MASSIVE in terms of clientside performance. 

If you ever want to see how much FPS you gain without the HUD, run around with your Camera out and enjoy your 10 - 30 frames. (As long as you're not looking at a lightsaber)

Serverside:

NUs4ocU.png

Clientside:

vpe3Pqg.png

Other things I want to note. Lightsabers in general don't offer much to RP. You shouldn't be able to "repel" people or leap 90 miles away in a milisecond. Yes, it's DarkRP but it's also not Starwars RP. Lightsabers are also pretty OP and of course insane on both the client and the server. Removing them would only benefit the server in my opinion. 

Although I have no clue what I would change it to, if we did in theory remove it.

• Like 1

I see where you're coming from, but people don't use Flight SWEPs and Spiderman guns all that often for a reason. The main reason why people use it is for either looking cool, healing, breaking down doors, or travel.

I'm not sure what would work as a good alternative but it would need to be an efficient and versatile replacement. As far as I could guess, deactivating the lightsaber (Hit R) it could help, but lets be honest nobody wants to do that.

Making people happy is hard and this won't make anyone happy but it's needed to do something about this for server related needs.

I honestly despise the light saber. They provide such an unfair advantage, think of the following scenario: Custom class kills a guy, cop tries to chase down custom class, custom class light sabers to a rooftop and snipes at cop. Whenever cop lands a hit the class moves back and heals. I honestly think that either the light saber should be removed or force leap.

The only reason I use light sabers are for transportation. If light sabers are removed, the flight swep and any other swep that allows transportation like so should be removed. But then again walking around the map at walking/running speed is a pain. Possibly add perks that can make you walk/run faster, jump higher, or give a boost in some way (transportation, wallet, weapon, and more.) Also another reason why I liked the vehicles addon and thought you should make a Titsrp 2 that was linked to Titsrp so your cash, inventory, and everything you had on one server was transferred over to the other.

This is in fact my opinion and does not have to be implemented but may help choose what to do with the server.

The only reason I use light sabers are for transportation. If light sabers are removed, the flight swep and any other swep that allows transportation like so should be removed. But then again walking around the map at walking/running speed is a pain. Possibly add perks that can make you walk/run faster, jump higher, or give a boost in some way (transportation, wallet, weapon, and more.) Also another reason why I liked the vehicles addon and thought you should make a Titsrp 2 that was linked to Titsrp so your cash, inventory, and everything you had on one server was transferred over to the other.

This is in fact my opinion and does not have to be implemented but may help choose what to do with the server.

That's the thing though. You shouldn't have some kind of transportation device such as something that makes you fly in the air or shoes that make you run fast. Running around the map doesn't take too long imo and it's cool see what everyone else is doing rather than flying above them. If every user was able to use the lightsaber, they probably would. But think about it from the people's side who never use it just don't want to use it. They just run around, there is a very few amount of other available tools that allow you to run fast or jump high or something. They also probably think the lightsaber should be removed because you do get launched 90 miles in the air and 50 miles away from where ever you were standing. You shouldn't just be able to appear out of thin air and call raid or counter on someone.

In terms of a second server, that would never happen. People play on this server for a reason. We used to have 2 servers but the second one never had more than 1 player on it and it did exactly everything you said.

I can also make a SWEP if need be that makes a good replacement for the lightsaber. I wouldn't have it though so you can have any mystical abilities or something. There is already a doorcharge in the game so I don't think we need something that breaks down doors.

We could just take the route and swap it out for 2 $5 guns such as

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=680449084&searchtext=

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679247426

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682702716

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682399986

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=685738045&searchtext=

Or some other workshop weapons if you have any suggestions. I can also add in all of these weapons in general and the people with lightsabers can just replace them with anything worth $10 or redeem $10 worth of RP cash or something.

• Like 1

so m9k weaps are only 5$?

Well that's if I was going to add them into the game and make them part of the $5 collection. If you were to get these in general for yourself, it's still a workshop weapon