Server freezes but can still hear VOIP

Reggie Gerber

Category:

Bug

Priority:

Medium

Description:

The server basically acts as if it times out; I can't move, talk, type etc. but I can hear other people talking in voice chat. I can't see any text chat or do anything else however. The only way to fix it is to rejoin the server.

How to reproduce:

As far as I can tell it's completely random and there isn't anything specific that triggers it, no console errors or anything similar.

55 minutes ago, Getter said:

im pretty sure its just u having bad internet 

I have google fiber and it rarely goes down(in my area), I'm also usually in VC with friends on discord and have no issues. I've also done speedtests while the server is frozen for me and ping/download/upload is all normal.

This has happened to me a few times, my internet was not the issue but something in-game, I was getting a error message saying something about slogs is causing issues, I can hear stuff going on around me but can't move or anything, when I kill in console I hear that I suicide but nothing changes on my screen.

Next time this happens and if you're still able to interact with the gmod client in this state, please check console for any errors. I don't have any server or clientside errors logged for you so it may be something with your client. If there are any errors this would definitely help. I think our voice module runs independent of the game (as others mentioned) in order to improve performance, so that might explain why you could still hear voicechat.