Hitboxes

Tuss

Category:

Exploit

Priority:

Medium

Description:

I'm surprised this has never been addressed on the forums before, and if it has the thread was not appearing for me when searching the forums. The easiest fix for this I can imagine is making it so that your hitbox doesn't change more than once while in the air. For example, jump crouch still changes your hitbox, but crouching more than once in mid air doesn't change it and it will stay as if you were crouch jumping. Another possible easy fix would be to make it so you can only crouch once while in mid air.

How to reproduce:

Mash jump crouch a bunch and you're practically unkillable until you hit the ground, then once you hit the ground (your most vulnerable point) jump and spam crouch again.

I know the videos I have provided may not show the best examples of this, but try it for yourself. Spam crouch and jump while in a gunfight and you will see that you die 90% less.

5 hours ago, Abstergo said:

This is just one way of many to confuse the already shit hit detection.

This is a major problem with the source engine actually, when you jump the server is in reality not quite sure where you are.  It appears on your screen instantly, but is actually quite desyncronised from what the server thinks you are doing. Couple this with the fact that by default, source does not trust the client AT ALL. To register a hit, the server MUST agree with what the client is saying, and if it doesn't you don't get any damage. This issue is exacerbated in situations like crouch jumping where the server cannot possibly update your position in real time. With a 16 tick rate this is very hard to fix. There is one option, using an addon like this: https://www.gmodstore.com/market/view/leyhitreg-fix-hitboxes-no-more-fake-hits

What this addon does is basically trusts damage information from the client 100%. This is damaging to the server security though, as it means if you find a way around the anticheat, you can tell the game you're hitting when you're not, or that you're doing amounts of damage you shouldn't be. Would like to see it, or something similar tried out though.

Just get better anti-cheat 4Head

I agree with tuss with this. I was in the RDM zone last night playing against tuss. Its horrible to see a blood splatter and 1/4 of the time it doesn't even register, I understand the server may not have the highest tick rate because of the size, But its atrocious. You can mag dump on a running jumping person and hit 1/2 of the shots even though most of them show blood.  

45 minutes ago, Gaylek said:

I agree with tuss with this. I was in the RDM zone last night playing against tuss. Its horrible to see a blood splatter and 1/4 of the time it doesn't even register, I understand the server may not have the highest tick rate because of the size, But its atrocious. You can mag dump on a running jumping person and hit 1/2 of the shots even though most of them show blood.  

Sugar talked about this a little bit in a post, he said that even going to like 24 tick would bring a massive hit to the servers performance, and that it just isn't reasonable to bring the tick rate any higher than 16. Sadly there isn't much you could do in terms of tick rate.

8 hours ago, ZestyBoi said:

Sugar talked about this a little bit in a post, he said that even going to like 24 tick would bring a massive hit to the servers performance, and that it just isn't reasonable to bring the tick rate any higher than 16. Sadly there isn't much you could do in terms of tick rate.

yeah but the hitreg doe