[Official] Suggestions for the Server

TitsRP

I think that the prop limit should be increased because at the moment like none of my dupes work and other people have been complaining about it as well, i never really saw any performace decrease with the old  prop limit but there may just be something i didnt see, anyways i propose that there be an increased prop limit

I think that the prop limit should be increased because at the moment like none of my dupes work and other people have been complaining about it as well, i never really saw any performace decrease with the old  prop limit but there may just be something i didnt see, anyways i propose that there be an increased prop limit

No one is suprised I'm going to +1 this

I fucking love the new PD system I had the best time and it actually encourages rp! Only thing is handcuffs are op as shit XD. And you should also make finning guidelines because some kid finned someone for 100k just for saying fuck off.

I +1 this. Most new players can't afford to pay high fines and some people give high fines to people they know have money

I fucking love the new PD system I had the best time and it actually encourages rp! Only thing is handcuffs are op as shit XD. And you should also make finning guidelines because some kid finned someone for 100k just for saying fuck off.

There is really no reason to nerf handcuffs, you literally have to be inside the guy to handcuff them and sometimes it doesn't work. Also there are already fining guidelines in the cop rules in the motd.

-snip-

I'm gonna try and keep this short, I can go on for years about the prop limit. Edit: I did not keep this as short as I wanted to

While people may of thought there was no performance decrease, it's just that it's needed. Having unlimited props for each player can lead to some really bad results. When you told me that some guy had 400 props, I logged onto the server with 220 fps. I went to his base and dropped to 30 (all 400 props were within 2 inches from each other). It really depends what people consider optimal gameplay performance but if I drop below 120 fps, I am not a happy camper. I bet there are players who still run Windows Vista and are completely happy with their 5 FPS.

Of course FPS is a whole different thread since there can be a million different variables but either way, take this.

GMod runs on a modified source engine. Running this server uses one core and so does your computer while running this game. So in theory if I had a CPU with 16 cores, hecko 15 open cores that will never be used. That's why FPS usually eats ass and I have to work around a lot of things and pay very close attention to server performance. The source engine has some edict limit where if there is one more prop than it allows, it crashes. Now, this limit is kinda hard to hit and to be honest I don't know what that limit is. I thought it was 2048, then when I hit that limit it still didn't crash so I went for 4096 and it still didn't crash so I don't know what that limit is. So you're probably saying "OK well how can we even hit 4000 props, that's an insane amount of props!"

With 65 players and each player using 500 props you have 32,500 props

With 65 players and half of them using 500 props you have 16,250 props

With 65 players and 1/4 of them using 500 props you have 8,125 props

With 65 players and only 10 people use 500 props you have 5,000 props

Now switch it over to 50 props each and you have

With 65 players and each player using 50 props you have 3,250 props

With 65 players and half of them using 50 props you have 1,625 props

With 65 players and 1/4 of them using 50 props you have 8,12 props

With 65 players and only 10 people use 50 props you have 500 props

You have to understand that these numbers are absolutely insane. MOST larger servers do not allow more than 10 - 30 props per player. While I am being a little harsh in saying ALL players will be using ALL of their props, 50 is more than enough. I know this game plays a larger role in building and people love to build crazy things but you should never even need above 50 props.

When I played A LOT I never hit the 50 prop limit or I hit it very very rarely. I used big props for the outside and smaller props the inside. Just think:

You have 3 fading door props = 3 props

You have..20 walls for w/e reason = 23 props

You like to decorate your house and you have a table, stove and a pot = 26 props

That still leaves you with an extra 24 props to mess around with. If you in theory ever need more than 50 props, call up your friend Jimmy and ask him to base with you. There another 50 props at your finger tips.

So finally with all of that out of the way here are the pros and cons

Pros of having unlimited props or more than 100 for the limit

• You can build crazy maze bases and never get raided
  • You can build something cool or decorate your house more

Cons of having unlimited props

• Increased server CPU usage
  • Increased amount of server crashes
  • Significantly Less FPS
  • Allows the edict limit to be hit with ease
  • People will build crazy maze bases that you can never raid

Also I don't understand, we have been at a 50 prop limit for 2 - 3 months. Out of the blue when the little bug happened that allowed unlimited props and I fixed it, people went ballistic. Some people understand and some don't. Build smarter and you should never have a problem.

• Rubik unpinned this topic