Server Running Horribly

toosii

Category:

Quality of Life

Priority:

Urgent

Description:

For the past 2 or 3 days, I have had numerous issues with the server to the point where it is getting to be unplayable for me. From random lag spikes, outright losing connection to the server and crashing, low FPS, high ping, today I can't even PM people half of the time or do trades with people. I am not the only one experiencing these issues several other people are having issues as well. When people are sending messages in OOC it is showing my chat tag as there's half of the time - example: "[TM0D][Moderator] (OOC) BigBoiJulius: BRO WHY ARE YALL IN THERE SHOOTING US IF YOUR NOT IN THE REVOLT" BigBoiJulius is not a staff member, and it is showing my [TM0D] supporter tag as theirs.
I didn't really mention this on the forums or discord at first because I just thought it was something that the server reset was going to fix.. but now its been happening constantly for days.

How to reproduce:

Be on the server

And before anyone says something like I have a horrible PC, that is not the case. Like I said many other players & staff members are having issues, and also I play newer games that are a lot more demanding and have better graphics with having 0 issues.

Also just wanted to add, at times it can be on and off. Yesterday I was able to play a few hours with having a lot less issues, mainly just some light lag, but other times it seems to be a lot more extreme.

Edited by toosii

I'm not saying this is 100% the issue, but Garry's Mod uses about 1% CPU per user. Since it's a 32-bit game, we are limited to a single CPU core. That means at 100 players, we are essentially using 100% of the CPU. This could cause the lag spikes you're experiencing, depending on server load. We are currently at 107 players and using 90% of the CPU. 

Here is the player count for the past 7 days.

image.png

There was also an issue of a specific user lagging the server for the past several days around 8-10pm EST. This was patched and his alts banned so you should see some improvements there. 

TL;DR, the server's just poppin' right now.

39 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I'm not saying this is 100% the issue, but Garry's Mod uses about 1% CPU per user. Since it's a 32-bit game, we are limited to a single CPU core. That means at 100 players, we are essentially using 100% of the CPU. This could cause the lag spikes you're experiencing, depending on server load. We are currently at 107 players and using 90% of the CPU. 

Here is the player count for the past 7 days.

image.png

There was also an issue of a specific user lagging the server for the past several days around 8-10pm EST. This was patched and his alts banned so you should see some improvements there. 

TL;DR, the server's just poppin' right now.

Honestly I don't really think this is the cause. Cause I have played so many times while the server has a high player count, but never experienced issues like this.

Another reason I do not think it involves player count is because it will happen for a little bit, then quit after I rejoin a couple times or just wait a little while it stops or gets less severe, and player count is still about the same.

Edited by toosii

Some of the addons we recently added are less optimized than we like. This was a tradeoff for speed versus rewriting them to be better tuned for our server. Generally over 110 players is when you may start to see the server having hiccups here and there. This is due to a lot of things such as our high prop count, allowing props to have physics most of the time, people hounding less than optimal addons. A lot of severs have these features turned off for the most performance. I think after the Halloween update we will take a week or so to improve client performance and server performance at high player counts. Any videos of lagging with the console command net_graph 5 is always welcomed

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 10:13 PM, Dan Hunter said:

Idiot here: How can other servers run smoother with the same or more players if they are still limited to the one CPU?

(I also have crazy ping on TitsRP. People teleport, disappear etc.)

Depends on the location of the server. If you are connecting to a server that's closer to your home you will have a stronger connection + less latency. Our server is hosted in Phoenix, AZ.