LGBTQ Discrimination

Danutercisd

8 minutes ago, Abstergo McStubbins said:

And as far as I know, they were punished for what they did, as they should have been. I don't see how not being able to say ****** would have prevented this.

The real problem you guys will face if you decide to put a blanket ban on slurs is twofold. One, people will just come up with more slurs, more workarounds, more loopholes to say the things they want to say. You will only be maker your job as a staff member more difficult.

You also have to consider that making a word forbidden is exactly how words like "******" got their power in the first place. Words are only held in contempt because people choose to give them that power. And banning people from using them altogether will result in their use increasing tenfold. I haven't been around quite long enough to know personally, but I have been told by multiple people that back when the rules around the N word were fairly relaxed and unenforced, the use of it was not so common, nor "brave and edgy" as people find it now. Then again, it's not a good thing to normalise that kind of talk either.

I just honestly don't think "Don't say this" solves the issue. It's a band-aid fix to a more systemic issue. I think the way it is handled works for now. If someone is being a piece of shit, you slam them. If someone is just being an idiot, then so be it.

Then I think we should crack down on these issues then. I said that this would be a great first step. We should also make sure that harassment of people who are LGBTQ should also be prevented and that when things like this happen, they are enforced just as well as a racism case. I didn't sign up for staff to have an easy time. I signed up for the betterment of the server and give everyone an even keel. 

6 minutes ago, Tass said:

Now I'm all for warning or banning people if they are actually going after people who are LGBTQ or gay with slurs. Like if a female joins the server and keeps getting made fun of for their gender than we do step in tell people to stop. But I think if we were to ban or warn for these reasons staff should be have to "read the room" like was it said to be hateful towards some who it does happen to be offense to which in this case if a sit was made i believe it should be fine to tell the person who said it to stop first and if they continue to go on with other punishments. If its just two friends being bullies to eachother but someone from outside their friend group see is in ooc or and advert or something and gets offended, if a sit is made id basically just say bring them to a sit ask if they could at least leave that talk to pms, party, gang chat, etc...

Yeah, I do agree with this to an extent. I don't think the use of this word should be tolerated so easily, but even if the word remains free to be said, we still need to make sure cases of harassment against people that are LGBTQ, are dealt with swiftly. That's why I made this post, mainly to not just advocate for restriction of the use of the word "f****t", but to also raise awareness about cases of harassment and bullying against people based on gender and sexual orientation, which I feel is often overlooked. 

8 minutes ago, Dan Mcstubbins said:

Then I think we should crack down on these issues then. I said that this would be a great first step. We should also make sure that harassment of people who are LGBTQ should also be prevented and that when things like this happen, they are enforced just as well as a racism case. I didn't sign up for staff to have an easy time. I signed up for the betterment of the server and give everyone an even keel. 

Yeah, I do agree with this to an extent. I don't think the use of this word should be tolerated so easily, but even if the word remains free to be said, we still need to make sure cases of harassment against people that are LGBTQ, are dealt with swiftly. That's why I made this post, mainly to not just advocate for restriction of the use of the word "f****t", but to also raise awareness about cases of harassment and bullying against people based on gender and sexual orientation, which I feel is often overlooked. 

Yeah if people get harassed for their orientation or gender/sex and they are actually getting offended or whatever clearly there is a problem and needs to be sorted out possibly with just a verbal warning/warning/or even a ban for a little bit just to keep them away from eachother which if they keep continuing to do so then of course ban them for longer.

Like as an example someone of the staff team who is a friend of mine i've called gay and probably f***** before but he just doesn't give a shit and if he does I'd stop and shit not that hard. But if on the off chance i end up continuing to do all that I should and would be banned for harassment so on and so on.

Are you tired of people calling you mean names? Do you feel like you're offended by every word on the planet? Are you playing on a Garry's Mod server called TitsRP? 

Well we are introducing a new feature! (Its been here forever but)  its called the "mute" feature that allows you to silence those who start to test your offended level. If you're ever feeling triggered as a fully grown adult by an edgy 13 year old with just 1 click of a button they shut the fuck up! Wow fascinating! Just look at some of these product reviews!

"Wow! My ass hurt so much less when I just muted them!"

"I can't believe it was that easy! One click of a button and all my problems disappeared!"

"After learning about this feature it changed my life for the better. I can't speak highly enough about the mute feature 6 out of 9 stars!"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LeGerbs said:

Are you tired of people calling you mean names? Do you feel like you're offended by every word on the planet? Are you playing on a Garry's Mod server called TitsRP? 

Well we are introducing a new feature! (Its been here forever but)  its called the "mute" feature that allows you to silence those who start to test your offended level. If you're ever feeling triggered as a fully grown adult by an edgy 13 year old with just 1 click of a button they shut the fuck up! Wow fascinating! Just look at some of these product reviews!

"I can't believe it was that easy! One click of a button and all my problems disappeared!"

"After learning about this feature it changed my life for the better. I can't speak highly enough about the mute feature 6 out of 9 stars!"

The mute feature is a thing and if a sit is made that could be an option to settle it not that hard. I don't know why you gotta be an asshole about stating a function of the game though. Reading from Dan's response to my post I'm pretty sure he is fine-ish with my suggestion. "That's why I made this post, mainly to not just advocate for restriction of the use of the word "f****t", but to also raise awareness about cases of harassment and bullying against people based on gender and sexual orientation, which I feel is often overlooked." My suggestion makes it so the word isn't instantly bannable/warnable. From my post: "if a sit is made id basically just say bring them to a sit ask if they could at least leave that talk to pms, party, gang chat, etc..." Having the person mute them so they don't see any sort of text chat or can't hear them in voice is a valid option to also let the person continue saying it to their friends in ooc.

3 minutes ago, Tass said:

The mute feature is a thing and if a sit is made that could be an option to settle it not that hard. I don't know why you gotta be an asshole about stating a function of the game though. Reading from Dan's response to my post I'm pretty sure he is fine-ish with my suggestion. "That's why I made this post, mainly to not just advocate for restriction of the use of the word "f****t", but to also raise awareness about cases of harassment and bullying against people based on gender and sexual orientation, which I feel is often overlooked." My suggestion makes it so the word isn't instantly bannable/warnable. From my post: "if a sit is made id basically just say bring them to a sit ask if they could at least leave that talk to pms, party, gang chat, etc..." Having the person mute them so they don't see any sort of text chat or can't hear them in voice is a valid option to also let the person continue saying it to their friends in ooc.

Wasn't trying to be an asshole per say but I just stand by the moral sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you. Im a 24 year old guy From a small hick town. I wear cowboy boots and people always make fun of that saying "I fuck my sister" or you screw your cousins after smoking meth on the daily." I find it funny its better to just laugh and walk away.

Edited by LeGerbs

Just now, LeGerbs said:

Wasn't trying to be an asshole per say but I just stand by the moral sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you.

Possibly, my bad then if that's the case.

17 minutes ago, Abstergo McStubbins said:

I don't really agree with this thread of logic for 2 main reasons.

1. Why should someone have to take time out of their day to mute someone because they're being an asshole? If someone is making the game unfun, it is the staffs job to help.

2. It's shit for roleplay. Say you're running a gunstore and that player tries to come in and buy a gun? Or they try and /y party assist and you have no idea because you've now muted them. What about them /advert warning you to go away, etc. It doesn't solve the problem.

1. If something offends YOU then you should take the steps needed to get away from it. Its not like this is a constant thing with people using these terms. Harassment is very few and far between. If YOU don't like something than solve the problem by making a sit or muting them. Stop grouping the entire sum into a small category.

2. If you don't like someone then you don't need to be interacting with them. The likelihood of you rping with that person if they pissed you off is so goddamn low its not even funny.

I am a very firm believer in treating people how you want to be treated. I for the most part am nice in-game respectful and steer away from breaking rules. I wouldn't even consider using those slurs because I too don't believe they're appropriate.  On the flip side those words shouldn't hurt you. We have these features and an awesome staff team to help you when harassment does happen. Which it does im not selling it short. We just need to have a bit thicker skin when playing on the internet. 

Edited by LeGerbs

15 minutes ago, Abstergo McStubbins said:

This is just victim blaming.

Still, why should you have to put yourself at a disadvantage?

All of that said, I don't agree with a rule change here either.

Its not victim blaming. If you don't like that someone RDM'd you, YOU are expected to ask the player why they killed you and then call a sit. Its the same concept if you don't like what someone said then you need to take the steps to report it or ignore it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeGerbs said:

That only solves the problem for that one person. We need to take action in order to stop people from doing that sort of shit to other people. It is the staff responsibility to make sure the rules are followed, one of which is "DO be respectful to everyone." It doesn't matter what gender, orientation, or race they are. You need to respect what they are, or not talk to them at all. If harassment is engaged, then we must quench it in the quickest way possible, and deal with the harasser accordingly, which is why we can't just ignore everything and pretend it's cotton candy and rainbows.  Like Tass said, even a verbal warning, talking to, and in my opinion, a gigamute, would help to solve the problem. 

42 minutes ago, LeGerbs said:

1. If something offends YOU then you should take the steps needed to get away from it. Its not like this is a constant thing with people using these terms. Harassment is very few and far between. If YOU don't like something than solve the problem by making a sit or muting them. Stop grouping the entire sum into a small category.

2. If you don't like someone then you don't need to be interacting with them. The likelihood of you rping with that person if they pissed you off is so goddamn low its not even funny.

I am a very firm believer in treating people how you want to be treated. I for the most part am nice in-game respectful and steer away from breaking rules. I wouldn't even consider using those slurs because I too don't believe they're appropriate.  On the flip side those words shouldn't hurt you. We have these features and an awesome staff team to help you when harassment does happen. Which it does im not selling it short. We just need to have a bit thicker skin when playing on the internet. 

I would like to agree with you, but I cannot, because it's not always easy to just avoid people, and when that happens, I encourage everyone to get staff involved as much as they can, so the harassment can be stopped, by either figuring out how to remedy the situation, or to ban the offender. Thicker skin does not mean to let yourself be called slurs every time. There is a point where a person will reach their limit of bullshit, so it's best to remedy it before shit hits the fan. 

10 minutes ago, Cobaselic said:

Harassment is already against the rules. If you're calling someone a ****** because of their sexuality, that's harassment. If you call someone a ****** and they ask you to stop but you continue, that's harassment. If you're just calling people ****** left and right in OOC for no reason, that's player toxicity. If I wanna call LeGerbs a ****** and he wants to call me a ****** just for the fuck of it, that shouldn't be against the rules. We're gonna end up not being able to do or say anything on the server anymore without fear of being punished. This is a place to fuck around and have fun. People needa take a step back and remember that. This isn't a serious RP server. There are already rules set in place to protect people from being harassed, nothing else needs to be added.

It doesn't matter if it's serious or not, LGBTQ harassment in particular should not be tolerated, and the allowance of ****** can give the impression that you can insult someone using the word and suffer no repercussions, and in my opinion, that is really scuffed. I get what you are saying. It's just a place to have fun. I don't think restricting this word or cracking down on this will negatively affect the server. It'll allow people to have fun still, while being able to breathe easy, knowing you won't be harassed for your gender or Sexuality. I think your point about harassment is right though. I just think that in order to show that it shouldn't be tolerated, the word should be restricted or only allowed to be used for its other meaning (a cigarette.)

• KDawg locked this topic