"You must specify the definition of Jay-walking if you make J-walking illegal"

David Davidson

Added my usual Jay-walking = arrest on sight law and got pulled to a sit.

Mod told me to specify, if J-walking = illegal, I must write "you must use crosswalks"

Told him the definition of Jay walking literally means not using a cross-walk

"Jaywalking occurs when a pedestrian walks in or crosses a roadway that has traffic, other than at a suitable crossing point"
Wikipedia definition, almost every single definition found on google is similar.

"but you have to"

Told him that isn't anywhere in the rules and it's just something some people do
"There are rules that aren't written down"

So how about some discussion on this one.

1. Is this Jaywalking thing an arbitrary rule

and 

2. Why are there magic rules that aren't important enough to 

get written down?

You actually have to specify if you can cross via corners / tunnels / etc.

The reason that its not about not using crosswalks, is because they don't load in for some people, if you don't specify where to cross it makes it physically impossible to go some places without breaking laws.

From MOTD under "Bad/punishable laws" section - "Jaywalking is AOS (no crosswalks or examples given for legal street crossing)"

From MOTD under "Good laws" section - "Jaywalking will result in a $500 fine, cross at street corners/the crosswalks we have placed"

These can be found in mayor rules under cop rules section

Edited by Nipple Farm

We're not gonna require people to pull out the dictionary in order to find out whether or not they're breaking the mayors laws on a gmod darkrp server. Makes more RP sense anyway for the mayor to say where to cross. Map crosswalks are not valid areas of crossing as, like nipple said "The crosswalks we have placed" implies you must place crosswalks. Saying "Cross at corners/tunnels is a nice catch all".

Edited by Fuel