New Fishing Poles & Fishing Baits (+ Other fishing stuff)

Umbak Klak

On the trello it's already confirmed Sugar is making new Fishing Poles/Baits, but I want to give my thoughts on it all.

I've had a lot of time to think about this, and have quite a few thoughts;

Firstly I think there needs to be a Fishing NPC, just a vortigaunt that replaces the "fridges" on the sides of the beach. When you press E on him, there you can buy the fishing pole (which by the way needs to be upped in price to like $5k, it being $500 is just ridiculous), sell your fish to him, or craft the new poles/baits (Unless you're fine with the crafting table being filled with fishing stuff). While I'm talking about the NPC I want to mention an idea I've had where every hour or two the Fisherman NPC will buy a certain fish for 15% more than usual. It should be completely random and it also probably shouldn't buy Parrot Fish.

Now, as for the poles, I think they should require those rare materials that were mentioned in the trello post (I've also made a suggestions post about mineable gems/ores) and should be very expensive. They should be high risk, high reward, where you have to craft the poles and hold onto them in your inventory/on you and pray you don't lose them. This way it makes the poles much more valuable, and opens up a large market for people to grind the materials for the poles and sell them. I have quite a few thoughts on the new poles, generally each new pole should be better than the last, where the window of time to catch the fish is longer, the amount of time it takes to catch a fish is (just a little) lower, but more importantly; the loot you get is better. One way to do this is that each new pole removes a bad item from the pool, for example the Second Pole might remove poop from the pool, the Third Pole might remove door alarms and door shields, etc. etc.. It'd be awesome if we could see the addition of more fish, and I know I'm not alone in wanting this, many times people have said they wish there were more fish to fish up. So what if each new pole "unlocked" a new fish to fish up? That'd be cool, I think (Prices may need to be changed on Parrot/Tiger to balance this). As for the issue of inventory space for the amount of fish, I have an easy solution; an item in your inventory that holds your fish (but only has so many slots). They could be called fishing bags or something. I know this is a little extra but if we wanted a lot of fish then it's going to take up a lot of space and people already are running out of inventory room so this would be a nice medium to solve issues people are already having.

Example of how Fishing Poles might be crafted:

Pole #1 - Costs $5000, no materials needed

Pole #2 - Need 100 Wood, 100 Metal, 5 Rare Material, Removes Poop, Adds Rainbow Trout

Pole #3 - Need 200 Wood, 200 Metal, 10 Rare Material, Removes Door Alarms, Adds Shark

Pole #4 - Need 400 Wood, 400 Metal, 20 Rare Material, Removes Food, Adds Eel

You get the idea, this is just what I think would be simple and easy to do for fishing poles.

Next; Fishing Baits. I've thought about this for a long while and have what I think is a pretty simple idea. Basically the Baits would cost rare fish to make, last for a certain amount of time (30 minutes?) and increase your chances to fish up something. Perhaps the Baits could be how you fish up the more rare fish, or maybe they even unlock fish you couldn't otherwise get, even with the better poles. It's simple but effective;

Bait #1 - Costs 5 Parrot Fish, lasts 30 minutes, increases chance to fish up Parrot Fish & Rainbow Trout

Bait #2 - Costs 5 Rainbow Trout, lasts 30 minutes, increases chance to fish up Rainbow Trout & Shark

etc. etc.

Lastly I've made this suggestion before and heard others talk about it too; Fishing Nets

Basically a big net you place in the water that slowly catches fish, they would need to be untangled, the net would get damaged and need replaced, it'd have a limited space it could fish and possible be upgradeable? It's something neat myself and others have thought of. For those worried about space in the water don't make the prop too big for the net.

Thoughts? Thanks for reading.