supermarioben2

How would the community feel about a new map?

Ok, first of all I am not referring to downtown_tits_v3 or anything like that, I am referring to a new map in it's entirety also also I don't think this should be immediately added but I am strongly curious about the communities thoughts on the idea.

If you've been playing DarkRP for a while like I have you remember the "original" (but not really the original) version of rp_downtown that every single server and it's mother ran so when downtown_tits came around (which is when I first started playing titsrp) it was literally the coolest thing ever as it added on an entire new area to the map, v2 added even more stuff and we're even promised a v3.

However, source is a very limiting engine and as a person who is just starting out with learning the grips of hammer I have come to realize that mapping is one of the most limiting parts of the engine (if you ever wondered why CS:GO's dangerzone maps are so small, that's why) which is why downtown_tits is insanely insanely optimized however eventually it will get to a point where significant additions to the map will be extremely difficult and/or basically impossible to implement without laggy/hacky workarounds and eventually the map will begin to feel stale like the original downtown however we will still be playing on it because for whatever reason people only really seem to play on servers that run the most popular maps which I think is a shame.

While I don't think it may entirely be beneficial to add an entirely new map into our server as it will completely mess up peoples dupes, entity placement of so many things the admins will have to go and replace, etc that it wouldn't be worth it. I also know that back when titsrp had first begun taking it's roots it apparently went through a ton of map changes and each map change "killed" the server (however you also have to think back then it was getting less than 60 where as today at peak hours we usually have like 110 people on at any given time). Sugar has teased of a potential idea for a "Tits After Dark" server which I feel would be the perfect opportunity for something like this, as we have a ton of extremely talented mappers in this community and creating an awesome new map based entirely around the requests of the titsrp community would be really cool.

In summary

Pros:

* A refresher to the extremely old rp_downtown maps that every server is running (since now every server has been running the titsrp version of downtown)

* The ability to continue to expand on the map without hitting the engine limits

* Talented mappers in the community means we could potentially have a map with everything that would benefit the server and please the community

* Some other popular servers have their own custom maps and have a decent playerbase, proving that it is possible but pretty risky

Cons:

(I obviously don't think that we should 100% implement this, instead we should look optimistically towards tits_v3, however I am very curious about feedback)

* People are familiar with rp_downtown and don't like getting lost in a map they have no clue about

* A new map would mean the painful repositioning of all the entities in the server (this includes stuff like every single chem/tree/metal node, every single treasure, etc)

* A new map would mean that 99.9% of dupes become useless for the server

* A new map may cause alot of people to leave the server

* The new map may not have the same "feel" as the late but great rp_downtown

Let's just go back to rp_downtown_v2 LOL.

Honestly though, with the huge playercount the server sees I wouldn't mind a change to Evocity to be honest. There was an old darkRP server called Noobonic Plague that was very similar to current day TitsRP that used to run on evocity and it was a great time.

The server was on evocity for a short time back in the day, However with how Tits has evolved I dont know how it would form out, a mega large map. 

If we went on evo city for a week just as a test run for the fun of it then that would be kinda fun imo. 

5 minutes ago, Azuria said:

The server was on evocity for a short time back in the day, However with how Tits has evolved I dont know how it would form out, a mega large map. 

If we went on evo city for a week just as a test run for the fun of it then that would be kinda fun imo. 

i'm not really referring to a map like rockford or evocity as I think it's way to far of a stretch then the kind of map titsrp is built around, i'm thinking of maps more like locality or underground or a custom one around that, basically maps similar and inspired by downtown but like not downtown but new buildings

The reason the original idea of making a new map for the server was mainly for space reasons, And V2 was mainly fixing major issues such as The train being a weird entity, the underground tunnels being.. Not as accessible as they are nowadays and adding more spots for people to base in general, mostly general improvements.

I feel that if a new map was to be used it have to be passed by everyone who actively plays because the map we're currently on and the map thats coming up are mainly going to be map improvements